Sunday 25 December 2011

Christmas eve/day and all the build up




Back on shore I have appreciated the Christmas spirit and the holiday but we haven’t really fully committed to celebrating it. I am not certain as to why that was, perhaps it was because I always open my presents early and hence was sleeping in on Christmas day. Being on the ship, people really are into this holiday all the offices are decorated, they have organized themed parties for both crew and guests and performances for the guests. It’s really quite nice. Of course there is no suitable weather for this holiday, but never the less it’s festive.

Christmas day is basketball day for me and I am hoping to catch a few games that are on today, which is much appreciated after this lockout. I have TNT ABC and ESPN on board here, but I have a burning suspicion that these channels won’t show all of the games specifically because the TNT that we have here is some kind of a Spanish version of the channel. Also I am going to miss Raptors games, but will see plenty of Heat games because of the region, I guess I will temporarily be Miami Heat fan.

I got my father into blogging too, which is somewhat of an accomplishment. He considered it to be a waste of time before, but as it turns out this is a pretty effective form of communication if one party is in the middle of nowhere J.

I exchanged a few emails with my mentor yesterday, which is great; I am still going through the book that she suggested for me “from Good to Great”. I am trying to be as productive in my downtime and do some reading as well as exercising to maintain the whatever muscle tone I have, otherwise having access to buffet and not having to move a lot is a dangerous mix of activities. I have also engaged in some LinkedIn forums, just to stay updated with some of the things happening in the real world. I think I would review the local HR policies when I have the time, as many of them should be at least curious to a Canadian HR professional.

All for now,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment