Sunday 20 January 2013

My New Pet Peeve


I have recently found myself becoming somewhat irate with the phrase “many people … ”. It is usually used in context that is to describe a common action that is perceived to be a misconception or to be a belief. I know that I have used this previously myself. It’s not hard to find it in my previous posts, you just have to go back a few of them and it would be right there, glowing in the middle of the post somewhere.

Here’s an example: “There are so many people out there who will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say,'I can. Watch me.”

― Layne Beachley


The reason why I have developed negative opinion is due to the lack of factual support of the actual statement. Factual support is the base of business writing in my opinion. This phrase is usually used when there’s no proof of the statement, and only personally observation exists. Frankly speaking, this observation is usually filled with judgment of the described behavior. In my opinion this is the first step in the passive aggressive boisterous statement, which will enlighten the herd to listen to the enlightened one.
From now on, I am making a concerted effort to eradicate this phrase from my personal use and hopefully I will limit my exposure to any sources of information that use this primitive form of influence

No comments:

Post a Comment