Tuesday 11 October 2011

How @safinr watched #PayItForward and wanted to do it with small deeds

Pay it Forward is a movie that has an interesting idea in it: to initiate 3 significant non-reciprocal good deeds. And then ask the people that you have helped to do the same. Pretty much a pyramid for goodness. To critic the movie I'd say that it's a bit too preachy and not really my cup of tea, which did not entice me to watch it until the end. Nevertheless, the idea behind the movie is interesting and is worthy of a post. Especially when I'm feeling guilty about becoming very sporadic with the content on the site.
I am not convinced that this significant deed part of the idea would become adopted, so I am making a compromise and downgrading the significance of the deeds to favor-worthy. So if you help someone out and they pronounce the polite "I owe you one", hold them to it and ask them to spread the compassionate nature and help out 3 other people with the same premise.
If anything this will bring up the conversation about genuine goodness and the innate nature of people. That's one of my favorite topics to discuss.
I believe that this idea is based on Kant's Idea of

universalizabilityThe applicability of a moral rule to all similarly situated individuals. According to both Kant andHare, universalizability is a distinguishing feature of moral judgments and a substantive guide to moralobligation: moral imperatives must be regarded as equally binding on everyone. The force of this principle, however, depends upon the generality of the judgments and the particularity of the situations to which they are applied.
In laymen terms something should be considered moral if you can live with everyone doing it. In this case the movie Pay It Forward tries to create this ideal universalizabal (Emmanuel Kant decided to create new words, so I'm not too certain about how I should use it) Utopian shift in the society. I applaud big and brave ideas, so this is right up there.


Til next time



No comments:

Post a Comment