Monday 30 January 2012

Day in Long Beach



Day like today is unusual for my job, we usually don’t have days off, especially not in homeport, but it really made me appreciate my job. First of all, I got to go out in the beautiful Long Beach, which is small and you can feel that it’s small. Their downtown is significantly less lively on a Monday than downtown that I am used to in Toronto. It just seemed so laid back walking around the city. It has a similar vibe as the Los Angeles. I like it; I could see myself living here if I had not lived in Toronto. The weather was certainly great I was able to walk around in a shirt and jeans, all of this in January. I went to the local Wal-Mart and was surprised by the prices, it really seems like their items cost half the price than they do back home. Bought some toiletries for a colleague and myself and went on around the city.
I love my phone, it does everything and now that I value Wi-Fi more than anything when getting out, having it being able to take pictures and browse the web is essential to me.  
I am really thankful that I am able to visit all of these places in the world that I would likely not end up in otherwise, just makes me appreciate my job. Also walking around downtown I saw plenty of homeless people, which again just made me thankful that I had a job, place to live and food.
Then I went into a themed restaurant. The theme was Forrest Gump, it was pretty great had some of the best fish and chips I ever had. Following that I went to the aquarium, which is the first time I went to an aquarium and it was awesome, I got to touch Sting Rays, Sharks and Jellyfish. Today was just a good day overall followed by a trip to the sauna.
After I came back from my trip I found out that I am being transferred to Carnival Sensation, which is out of Miami, but I will be going to help with dry dock in Freeport, Bahamas. This is incredible to travel to Bahamas for work. I am really starting to get used to flying for work and getting my expenses covered. Although my work is not executive class level, I do feel important.

No comments:

Post a Comment